Facing complaints that it has not done enough to rebuild New Orleans, the Bush administration announced Wednesday that it would ask Congress for $4.2 billion more to compensate Louisiana residents whose homes were severely damaged by Hurricanes Katrina and Rita.
The money will come from $18 billion that the administration said last month it would request from Congress this year for hurricane relief.
The announcement was praised by Louisiana officials who said that the $4.2 billion, when added to $7.7 billion in rebuilding money approved by Congress last year, would be enough to help anyone in the state who owned a storm-wrecked home.
Thursday, February 16, 2006
More U.S. Aid Will Be Sought for Louisiana - New York Times