Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Will Melancon challenge Vitter?

Unchallenged Melancon plans for a busy fall | DailyComet.com | The Thibodaux Daily Comet | Thibodaux, LA

U.S. Sen. David Vitter, a Republican, also has to stand for re-election in two years. The still-fresh revelation of Vitter’s connections to a Beltway prostitution ring run by the late "D.C. Madam" makes him a prime target. [Rep. Charlie] Melancon’s name is frequently mentioned as a viable Democratic challenger.

"I’m a member of the House of Representatives, and I want to get through this election cycle. But I would be lying to you if I didn’t say I’ll be thinking about it later," Melancon said last week. "I plan on sitting down with my family, having a discussion and making a decision sometime in January."

Many Louisiana Democrats feel Melancon is their perfect candidate against a seriously-weakened Vitter. Right out of the blocks, he could cut deeply into a key demographic that helped put Vitter over the top in 2004: Cajuns. Although naturally conservative by nature, given the choice between one of their own and somebody staunchly conservative, Acadian voters typically go with one of their own, according to analysts.

No comments: