Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Will Melancon challenge Vitter?

Unchallenged Melancon plans for a busy fall | DailyComet.com | The Thibodaux Daily Comet | Thibodaux, LA

U.S. Sen. David Vitter, a Republican, also has to stand for re-election in two years. The still-fresh revelation of Vitter’s connections to a Beltway prostitution ring run by the late "D.C. Madam" makes him a prime target. [Rep. Charlie] Melancon’s name is frequently mentioned as a viable Democratic challenger.

"I’m a member of the House of Representatives, and I want to get through this election cycle. But I would be lying to you if I didn’t say I’ll be thinking about it later," Melancon said last week. "I plan on sitting down with my family, having a discussion and making a decision sometime in January."

Many Louisiana Democrats feel Melancon is their perfect candidate against a seriously-weakened Vitter. Right out of the blocks, he could cut deeply into a key demographic that helped put Vitter over the top in 2004: Cajuns. Although naturally conservative by nature, given the choice between one of their own and somebody staunchly conservative, Acadian voters typically go with one of their own, according to analysts.

1 comment:

boathead said...

Yes! Count on it! I can't wait.