Sunday, October 23, 2005

Rep. finds way to force vote on Bush's suspension of Davis-Bacon

I was able to determine that, under the 1976 National Emergencies Act, I am able to force a vote within 15 calendar days of introducing a "Joint Resolution" - which I did at noon today. In this case, that means that if Congress doesn't act by Friday, November 4, I can go to the House floor and demand a vote on my resolution. Congress then has three days to schedule that vote.

So the bottom line is this: by the first or second week of November, there will be a vote on whether or not construction workers who are rebuilding the Gulf Coast will get a fair wage for their labor.
We owe our thanks for this to a California representative. Are our own reps too afraid of contractors to propose this?

No comments: